Farmer Emergency Fund

Donate to the Farmer Emergency Fund

NOFA-VT’s Farmer Emergency Fund supports organic and NOFA-VT member farmers who have been adversely affected by natural and unnatural disasters, such as crop failure, extreme weather, flooding, fire, or barn collapse. We understand that our farmers are imperative to our local food system, economy, and environment, and that they do not always qualify for federal or private assistance programs. The Farmer Emergency Fund provides farmers with the needed cash flow in times of an emergency, to help them recover and ultimately become more resilient farmers. 

Information about the relief milkers database here »

The Farmer Emergency Fund was established in 1997 and has since been used to support farmers affected by extreme flooding, severe wind damage, barn fires, and financial hardship as the price of organic milk continues to drop. 

This October, we have received requests from farmers who have lost fields, crops, and livestock in the October 31st flooding. We are asking for contributions to our Farmer Emergency Loan Fund so we can continue to support farmers rebound after devastating impacts from severe storms like these. Please consider donating - any amount helps. 

Maple Wind flooding

To make a donation by check, please make the check out to NOFA Vermont and mail your donation to NOFA Vermont, PO Box 697, Richmond, VT 05477.  Please either write on the memo line “Farmer Emergency Fund” or include a note expressing your wish to contribute to the Farmer Emergency Fund.

Donate to the Farmer Emergency Fund

The Farmer Emergency Fund provides grants and zero percent interest loans to farmers in need as funds are available. If you are a Vermont Organic Farmer or NOFA Vermont Farm Member who has been adversely affected by a natural or unnatural disaster and would like to apply for the Farmer Emergency Fund, please contact [email protected].

Learn more about who and what is eligible for the NOFA Vermont Farmer Emergency Fund »

Flooding on Gildrien Farm (2011)