Ag Literacy Week starts Nov. 16th!
Join us for free events that bring diverse voices to the table.
NOFA-VT believes that Vermont farms and farm businesses will be strengthened as consumers increase their agricultural literacy and understanding and appreciation of who produces their food and where it comes from.
Expand agricultural awareness by enhancing a community understanding of agriculture and develop on-going relationships between communities, schools and their local farms. Through expanding and enhancing these connections, we aim to increase the success of farms and farmers which are integral to a community's health.
The Partners work to:
- Expand agricultural awareness by developing a community understanding of agriculture and develop on-going relationships between communities, schools and their local farms.
- Reach out to communities across the state to expand the success of farms and farmers to serve as educational resources and integral to a community’s health.
- Identify agricultural materials and professionals within the community as resources.
Ag Engagement Projects are varied in response to regional needs and opportunities.
- Farmer Correspondence — Our successful farmer pen-pal and field trip program
- Agricultural Literacy Week — Cultivating community connections to farms and farmers, the 3rd week of November
2018 Ag Engagement Partner Projects
- Regional farmer gatherings – Bringing farmers together to share local food and experiences, and helping NOFA-VT learn how to better support our farmers. We partner with other local organizations to co-host these gatherings. For more information or to arrange a gathering in your area, please contact Misse Axelrod.
- Creative cooking with kids – A pilot project in Southern Vermont that is a culinary experience for 3rd-5th graders. Fun and educational all in the same bite! To organize this program in your area, contact Scout Proft at (802) 362-2290.
Learn more about schools that are making the farm connection
- ARTICLE: NOFA-VT Cultivates Farmer-to-Student Connections (Seven Days)
- VIDEO: Field trip to the Davis Farm in Jericho, VT
- VIDEO: Visit to Green Wind Farm
- VIDEO: Field trip to Bella Farm in Monkton, VT
- VIDEO: Visit to a sheep farm—with baby lambs!—in Richford, VT
- BLOG POST: School garden project in Franklin, VT »