The Vermont Farm Share Program is a great way for your farm to expand access to limited-income Vermonters in your community!
Your farm will raise funds to cover 25% of the cost for the "supported shares" through your current CSA shareholders and/or local businesses, organizations and individuals in your community. Those individuals/community groups can make tax-deductible donations to the program to help support shares, if NOFA-VT serves as your fiscal sponsor.
NOFA Vermont matches your 25% contribution, and the CSA shareholder pays the remaining 50% of the share price directly the the CSA farm.
How to Participate
To participate in the NOFA-VT Farm Share Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a member of NOFA-VT and/or certified organic by Vermont Organic Farmers (VOF).
- Offer a full-season CSA and/or a pre-paid farmstand model.
- Communicate the program to your existing community and current shareholders who may benefit from the program, and share with them the program application.
- Solicit donations* from your current shareholders and area businesses to support 25% of the share cost of anticipated applicants.
*Soliciting designated donations from your shareholders.
- NOFA-VT will review individual applications and beginning notify farms in late-March about households that have requested to join their CSA, and their anticipated share size.
- The farm and NOFA-VT will determine how many applicants the farm can support and at what share size(s).
- NOFA-VT and the CSA farm share 50% of the share cost (25% each).
- NOFA-VT will contact accepted applicants and let them know that they should contact the farm to arrange payment of their cost responsibility and confirm the specifics about the share distribution.
- NOFA-VT will continue to review applications on a rolling basis (until June 1) and will notify CSA farms as additional applicants are received, or until the CSA farm has indicated that they can no longer accept any more Farm Share applicants*.
- In early June, or after confirming that all Farm Share applicants have signed up for their CSA, NOFA-VT will reimburse farms for NOFA-VT's 25% cost contribution, along with funds from the farm's designated donations account (if applicable).
*If a farm is unable to accept applicants, NOFA-VT will work with the applicant to identify another CSA farm in their area that still has funding available.