NOFA Vermont is hiring a Farmer Serives Coordinator (see below).
Please see our Classified Ads for job opportunities related to the food system.
Farmer Services Coordinator
Farmer Services Coordinator - Job Description
NOFA-VT was founded in 1971, and works to support organic farms, healthy food and strong communities. NOFA-VT has a technical assistance program to serve commercial organic farmers, those transitioning to organic production and beginner farmers. Our technical assistance includes production and business planning support through on-farm visits, workshops, conferences and farmer to farmer mentoring.
This is a full-time, exempt position based out of the Richmond, Vermont office. Supervises NOFA-VT Farmer Education Coordinator, consulting Farm Advisors and Farmer Mentors. Reports to Executive Director. This position will coordinate NOFA-VT’s Technical Assistance team, and serve as a resource to the Vermont Organic Farmers certification staff to deliver the following services:
Provide technical services and educational programs to organic producers in Vermont.
Program development and support:
- Oversee technical assistance program to certified organic and transitioning farmers as a component of grant-funded projects, and in response to needs identified by the Vermont Organic Farmers (VOF), the organic certification program of NOFA-VT. Develop programs, research projects, and/or TA contracts with farm advisors or farmer mentors to support the viability of organic farms in Vermont.
- Oversee contract with VHCB as a Service Provider of the Farm and Forest Viability Enhancement Program, including: develop annual application, develop contracts with farm advisors and farmer mentors, provide on-farm technical assistance in cash-flow analysis and development of business plans for crop and diversified applicants (and/or serve as a team member), attend quarterly meetings, manage budget and provide timely reports.
- Advise on educational programming for beginner, transitioning and commercial organic farmers. Coordinate with Farmer Education Coordinator and other organizational partners to develop technical workshops, farmer-to-farmer exchanges, farmer discussion groups, field days, and courses.
Program administration and outreach:
- Utilize mechanisms to track delivery of services to meet reporting and program development needs
- Manage the Farmer Services Program budget in coordination with NOFA-VT’s Finance Director
- Provide in-put to help maintain high quality technical materials on NOFA-VT’s webpages
- Develop and/or adapt innovative materials to support organic producers
- Help develop, implement and report on grants in a timely and professional manner
- Help to organize workshops, field days, courses, farmer discussion groups, and conferences for both beginner and experienced organic producers
- Develop and maintain positive collaborative working relationships with other agricultural service providers, and college/university educators/researchers
- Communicate with other organizations and farmers about the program, participate in appropriate meetings, and respond to questions and concerns
- Work with NOFA-VT’s Communications Coordinator to develop an outreach plan, outreach materials and maintain press-release lists
NOFA-VT Program related support.
A lot of NOFA-VT’s events and programs are executed as a team. This position has the following responsibilities, as part of the technical assistance team:
- NOFA Winter Conference - Develop ideas and suggest presenters for technical farmer workshops and provide support to organizers
- NOFA-VT On-Farm Workshop Series - Develop ideas, hosts and speakers for the technical farmer workshops and provide support to organizers
- Organic Certification - Provide the VOF Office with technical assistance on Review Committee activities, product questions, inspector training materials, and other technical issues.
- Policy Development and Response - Support the policy advisor with issues important to farmers and the TA program.
- Program Development - Assist with the development of grant proposals, manage project budgets and write program related reports.
- Outreach - Table at NOFA events and workshops, serve as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Knowledge: knowledge of diverse organic and sustainable agriculture and the educational needs of commercial, transitioning and beginning organic farmers.
- Experience: Program management, budget development and oversight, grant writing, organizing, and public relations.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal, supervisory, planning, and training skills; excellent organizational skills; strong public presence; strong computer skills required.
- Capabilities: Ability to prioritize tasks in a position with many moving parts. Ability to work well with a wide range of people, work well under pressure, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of NOFA-VT and meeting the educational needs of organic farmers. Frequent statewide and occasional out-of-state travel required.
Qualified applicants, please send your résumé and cover letter to NOFA Vermont's hiring team, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.